Toum (mediterranean garlic sauce)

I first remembering eating this sauce at the naf naf grill in Chicago, and after that I would look out for this one everytime I went to any Mediterranean restaurant....

its amazing how with such simple and few ingredients, you can make something so divine!!

if you are a garlic lover like me definitely try it out..its creamy, buttery and garlicy!!!

if you have a food processor its easier to make it as this involves slowly pouring the oil and lemon juice to create a creamy emulsion so that it has a consistency like mayo..

you can use immersion blender as well, i made it with immersion blender....
I followed recipe on the blog every last bite: garlic aioli
This is link to youtube video by the same author as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3xwErRYdIw

I got this sauce right the third time :)

First two times, I started getting the emulsion but the i guess i added oil too fast and everything turned liquid...the good news it, even if it turns liquid it still tastes good and can be added on your sandwiches, and i also used some leftover sauce while cooking....



Ingredients:

  1. 10-12 garlic cloves
  2. 1 tbsp lemon juice
  3. 1 cup canola oil
  4. 1/2 tsp salt
Method:
  • First make garlic paste (i used my ninja to make paste)
  • add salt and mix well
  • add some oil and blend, alternate adding little lemon juice and little bit of oil, creating emulsion
  • continue this till you use all the oil and lemon juice..
  • It was so satisfying to see this done right :)










Note:
it took me around 30 -40 minutes to be done, maybe i was going very slow, but I wanted to be extra careful....
Look up a few videos before making this..
I read in one blog, to cool the oil and lemon juice in fridge before making this...i didn't do this but will try it next time :)

I make falafel using Ziyad brand falafel mix..
Make this a meal with other mediterranean dishes: lebanese dinner
baba ghanoush


Comments