Zebra cake

I made this cake when ravi was going to arrive from India. He said I never made special stuff for him, kind of true coz I had never made a cake when he was around. this happened because we dont have oven at our home in India and I tried making chocolate cake in microwave once and miserably failed so I never got too adventurous when I was in India and when he was here for couple of months there wasn't an occasion to make something special. Anyways. keeping this story aside, I wanted to make something really special to mark his arrival to USA and this cake seemed perfect.
Its not a birthday kind of cake, but it is so pretty so it doesn't seem like you have made a simple loaf. the method is really simple and easy BUT time consuming. You have to be patient to make this one as the trick in making this pretty cake like in the way it is poured in cake pan. Lastly, when you make it even if it doesn't look pretty to you when you pour it don't worry, final product will be BEAUTIFUL.

With that, here is the recipe. I made this cake exactly per this "zebra cake recipe" with 2 exceptions:
I added 2/3 tsp vanilla and 3 tbsp cocoa powder. Rest all is exactly the same.

Method:
Step1: Whisk egg and sugar
Step 2: Add milk and oil and whisk till well blended
Step 3: Add the dry ingredients, slowly in parts

Step 4: Take half batter in 2nd bowl and add cocoa powder to it

Step 5: Alternately pour a scoop of each batter in greased cake pan

Step 6: Pour batter alternately till you finish the batter.
(As you can see, mine is little messy and not as nice the link nevertheless the final outcome is great, so do not get disappointed)

Preheat oven to 350 deg F and bake for 30-40 min or till the knife comes out clean.

The cake was so soft and rich in vanilla and chocolate taste, just the right amount of sweet and looks so pretty that you will find will be torn between eating it and looking at it, eating it will win eventually coz you wont be able to resist ;)
 I haven't done justice to the sectional piece, could and should have clicked a better pic, maybe next time, yep there definitely is a next time, this is so awesome, my sis was like this is as good as starbucks marble loaf cake. 

 Enjoy with Coffee :)

Tips:
Use same size spoon to pour the different batters, use a scoop of size you would usually use to pour pancakes/ dosa (i mean not too shallow) that way the process will be less tiring. I used a tablespoon to pour the batter as I didnt have a 2 big spoons of same size and it took me a long long time to pour the entire batter. The end result was worth it :) :) 

Comments