Schezwan Sauce


This recipe is one that I have saved from my childhood. A family friend made it and gave me the sauce, I loved it so much that i saved it and have it with me after all these years.
I have downsized the recipe multiple times, but this is first time I made it as it is.
it yielded 9 half pint jars..

cook time: 45 min
Ingredients:
1 lb (half kg) onion
0.5 lb (1/4 kg) garlic
0.5 lb (1/4 kg) ginger
8-10 green chilly (increase or decrease depending on how hot the green chilly is)
1 big bunch cilantro
2 tbsp red chilly powder
3/4 cup sugar
2 cup tomato ketchup
1/4 cup vinegar
1-2 tbsp ajinomoto (optional)
1/4 cup salt (more salt can be added after tasting)
2 cup oil preferably sesame oil

Method:

  • finely chop all veggies
  • Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan, add chilly powder and onion
  • once onion is translucent, add ginger, garlic and green chilly then cilantro
  • once everything is well cooked, add salt, ketchup, sugar, vinegar, aji-na-moto.
  • simmer for a few minutes.
  • enjoy as stir fry sauce or dipping sauce :)

Printable Version: Schezwan sauce recipe

Note:
This stays good for 6-8 months in refrigerator,
this has a lot of oil as I use this to make fried rice or stir fry veggies, Also the oil preserves the sauce.
you can add more sugar/ ketchup if you want to tone down the spice.
add chilly sauce or green chilly if this is less spicy
you can add a bunch of celery to this as well, it was there in original recipe but i dont like celery so I don't add it.
In order to save time, I chopped onions first, and as the onions were cooking, i chopped ginger, garlic and chilly in food processor

Comments