My Experience making Brush Stroke Cake

I wished to make something beautiful and unique for my daughter's first birthday. I have baked a lot and have made some really tasty cakes but never really worked on frosting or decorations. I didn't have a clue what to make. One day i had a cake recipe video suggestion from food network on my facebook feed, brush stroke cake I saw the video and I was convinced that this is what I wanted to make.

Of course, I googled and researched and looked at different videos to get a better idea what I wanted to do. I wanted to make a chocolate cake, so I researched some more. Finally I came upon a blog called Modern Honey where the author called her cake LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT and I thought a cake with this name had to be tried!!

Lastly for the buttercream: I followed instructions on following video tutorial for buttercream both vanilla and chocolate.

I followed the recipe exactly as on Modern Honey for the cake and the results were AWESOME!! A very big thank you to author of Modern Honey for sharing this recipe.


As for the buttercream, I do not have an exact recipe as I was doing a trial, next time I'll note down the measures as mine were slightly different than on Modern Honey blog. Basically less sugar than given.

Finally, the beautiful brush strokes were made with multicolor wilton candy melts as I could not come up with a colour combination and went with Rainbow theme cake :) I mixed several colours like shown in first video to make new colours, other interesting thing I did was, I dipped my spatula in one color and made a drop of another colour, hence I had a shaded brushstroke. I thought that was quite cool!

All in all, it took me 8-9 hours to get the cake done, made over 2 days. It was a fun project, with everyone in family wanting to try their hand at making brush stroke. The most difficult part for me was frosting the cake and getting it as smooth as possible, which I didn't do a good job as it was my first time doing it. However, in the end it didn't matter as it was covered by brush strokes :) 
Rest of it was fairly easy


The cake looked gorgeous and everyone loved it! No one believed it was a home made cake :) :)

Thank you once again to fellow bloggers and you tube tutorial makers!!


Comments