Lemon Pound Cake



The first time I made lemon pound cake, it was a little dry. The second time I made it, i added a little too much lemon in it and made it too sour. So after a year or so I finally mustered courage to try a hand at it again probably because I don't give up so easily or I would say dont give up at all. I give things time to settle and eventually I'll go back to it and try my hand at it again after doing a bit more research, or thinking about it or just experiment some more. I guess the third time was the charm! I found this awesome recipe on Hilah's cooking and with a few modifications I made my cake. This is one of the best pound cake I have made, it has a beautiful texture: soft, buttery, lemony, with just the right amount of sweetness :)

So without much ado here is my recipe:
Ingredients: (for one loaf)
Cake:
  1. 1/2 cup softened butter
  2. 1 cup sugar
  3. 2 eggs
  4. 1/2 cup milk
  5. 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
  6. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  7. 1.5 cups flour
  8. lemon zest from one lemon
  9. 1/2 teaspoon salt
  10. 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  11. 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Glaze, optional:
  1. 1 cup powdered sugar
  2. 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Method:
  • in a large bowl, whip butter till its creamy, add sugar, then add eggs and continue whisking.
  • In a separate bowl, mix lemon juice and milk and let it sit for 10 min
  • add vanilla, lemon zest, baking soda, baking powder, salt to the butter-egg mixture
  • add flour mix well, the batter is quite thick. 
  • Preheat the oven for 325 deg F
  • grease the baking dish/ loaf dish with butter and flour it. (sprinkle some flour on the baking dish and rotate it so that a thin layer of flour sticks to the butter all around the baking dish, do this keeping the baking tray over the sink so that excess flour falls in the sink.)
  • Pour the batter in the baking dish and bake it for 45- 60 min, till the knife comes out clean. (dont worry if the cake looks just a little bit more brown than you would like, let it bake till the knife comes out clean)
  • Let it cool for ten minutes, then you can invert it on a plate. 
  • Once its completely cooled you can add the glaze.
For the glaze:
just mix lemon juice and sugar to form a thick paste which is still little runny so it flows down on the cake as you spoon it all over the cake. and it hardens quickly. You can add more sugar to it.

Enjoy the delicous cake!!

Comments