Barbecue Mushroom Pizza

I love trying out different types of Pizza recipe, I am just bored now of the regular tomato sauce pizza base..
By far my 2 most favourite pizza recipes are Barbecue Mushroom Pizza and the Greek Pizza. For this pizza I looked up barbecued chicken pizza recipe and substituted mushroom for chicken.

This barbecue mushroom pizza recipe tastes just like my favourite Smokin Joes Pizza. Tried to look up the exact name but they don't have it on the menu anymore :(
Bigger reason to be able to make it at home and savor the flavours of my dental school days.

This is time I decided to make the crust at home too. The recipe i used it from Perfect Pizza Crust post of Dinner a love story blog..The only difference is the amount of water and that I used a lot of whole wheat flour.

For the crust:

  1. 2 cups whole wheat flour
  2. 1 n 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  3. 2 n 1/2 tsp yeast
  4. 3/4 tsp salt
  5. 3/4 tsp sugar
  6. 2 cups water

Method:

  • take all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, begin gathering the flour adding water in small quantities so that the flour forms a stiff ball...knead it for 1-2 minutes
  • let the dough rise for 1-2 hours, till it doubles in volume
  • punch out the air and divide the dough into two halves.
  • If you need to freeze the dough you can put it in the freezer now after putting it in a plastic bag or a cling film.
  • If making Pizza, roll out the dough in the thickness you like, i prefer thin crust pizza so i rolled it quite thin, stretched it some after putting it in my cookie sheet.
  • I have a cookie sheet with holes, and I feel this works better if you like a crisp crust.

For the topping:

  1. 1  8 oz pack of mushrooms
  2. 1/2 onion
  3. 1 tomato
  4. 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
  5. 1/3 + 2 tbsp your favourite barbecue sauce (mine is Sweet Baby Ray)
  6. Sharp Cheddar Cheese
  7. Mozzarella Cheese
  8. Cilantro
  9. salt
  10. pepper
  11. olive oil  
Method:

  • Preheat the oven on 400 deg F
  • oil the cookie sheet
  • Marinate chopped mushrooms in 2 tbsp barbecue sauce, along with some salt pepper, add very little salt as the sauce contains some salt too!
  • spread 1/3 cup barbecue sauce on the rolled pizza crust, you can add less of it (1/4cup) depending on how much you like the barbecue sauce taste..I love it so I add more
  • sprinkle chopped garlic and cheddar cheese, over it chopped onions and tomatoes and cilantro, then top it off with Mozzarella cheese (once again with the cheeses, you can add as per your wish, i love cheese but keep it to a lower side as I don't want to make the pizza unhealthy)
  • Bake it in the oven for 15-20 min, lift and check the bottom of crust to see if it has cooked enough..







Enjoy this awesome pizza!!!

Comments