Chocolate banana cake with Ganache

Its been a long time since i made something new.....but with job, apartment hunting, family get togethers etc etc it was difficult to find time to try something....then ever since I moved into my own apartment I had been itching to make, and my aunt's birthday was a perfect opportunity to try something...I have been (still am) a bit nervous when I have to bake something....I am never sure everything is going to be alright till the very end...i told myself, if i dont try how will i ever learn and so I started to make CHOCOLATE BANANA CAKE with GANACHE (fancy name for frosting) which I thought was simple recipe....I was just little nervous as I didnt have my little measures and so was sprinkling baking soda and baking powder as per my guess and I was halving the quantity ...I had halved the quantity of dry ingredients BUT not for banana and eggs (as by mistake i mashed 2 bananas and whipped 2 eggs) so I was nervous that the cake might not bake properly.....however everything was GREAT!!! cake turned out to be awesome :) :) it was moist with rich banana flavour.....if you do not like banana then you might use 1 banana...here is the link of the ORIGINAL RECIPE from JOY OF BAKING...and below is recipe with few changes I made....

Ingredients:
  1. 1 cup white sugar
  2. 1 cup flour
  3. 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  4. 3/4 tsp baking soda
  5. 3/4 tsp baking powder
  6. 1/4 tsp salt
  7. 2 large eggs
  8. 1 cup mashed banana (2 medium sized ripe bananas)
  9. 1/2 cup warm water
  10. 1/2 cup milk
  11. 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  12. 3/4 tsp vanilla
For Ganache
  1. 11 ounces chocolate chips (i used almost entire 12 ounce chocolate chip packet)
  2. 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
  3. 1 tbsp butter
Method:
  • I followed the recipe on joy of baking..
  • Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, and wet ingredients in another bowl..
  • Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix it well, so that you get an even mix, no streaks should be seen
  • Pour the batter in greased baking tray...the consistency is quite fluid, do not worry :)
  • Bake it at 350 F for 35- 40min (till the knife come come out clean), check once at 30 min and then keep an eye on it...if you see the edges shrinking in then it also indicates cake is done...
  • the cake looks quite dark depending on which chocolate you are using, so do not think you burnt it...i did think that when I first took the cake out of oven...
  • I used a springform pan (the only pan I had, so didnt invert the pan, but I guess its safe to do it once the cake has cooled off. 

Step 1
Step 2


Step 3

Step 4


Step 5



For the Ganache:
  • heat the cream and butter on stove/ microwave till the mix just begins to  boil
  • then pour the mix on chocolate chips and mix it well, till chocolate chips have melted and forms a uniform mix, let it cool...
  • then whisk it with a whip to make it light and fluffy spread it over the cooled cake with a spatula...
Steps in pics :






feel like making some as I write this post...its super yummy....try it..
Happy Baking :) :)

Comments