sevya

 SEVYA literally means caring through service....this project was founded by my aunt and her friend....the project is to revive and preserve dying forms of art like weaving, making handicrafts etc. my aunt and her friend support roughly 2000 weavers all over India....they are members of FAIR TRADE FEDERATION...the aim of these federation is similar...to ensure that the poor weavers are not exploited and that they get good income so that the art form doesnt die out....basically making sure that the art form is carried from one generation to other...
rings/ scarf rings

beautiful, isn't it??
every once in a while I get to visit my aunt at one of her trade shows.....and it never ceases to amaze me how these western, sophisticated looking items are hand made by the poor artisans in India...I am extremely proud of my aunt, she sees what the weavers do, what is natural to them and them westernizes the items...as to what will sell in USA...i get tears in my eyes, when people exclaim "this is so beautiful"....and ask where is it made...and when they hear India, they say "of course it is made in India...I shouldn't have even asked, where else in the world would you find such colours"......and this has been consistent with every visit over years....and I am so proud, when they start picking up stuff to order....and they like give me this and this and this....there is always such a long list...and when they say, "I am so confused, I want everything" i feel so happy....

love these scarfs
I am putting some pics here.....this ones for you masi....I am super proud of you, your talent, and the fact that you represent India so beautifully in USA...


Comments

Ashwini said…
Great. coming from a family where my ancestors were weavers, I admire your Aunt's work.makes me want to go to my village and learn weaving.
Nachi said…
hehehe...so you beat me to it when it comes to putting up mom's work on the blog.

good one sis.

:)
@nachi: thanks bro...i have been wanting to write a post about sevya since a long time....finally got around to writing it :)

@ashwini: thanks! she is doing awesome job indeed...