VIP syndrome

i m hoping i m not too rusty as i m writing after a long long time...
also i have decided that even if i cant write on my own i shd at least put something abt the days happenings or a poem or something on my blog at least four times a week if not daily..


now you guys must be wondering what is this VIP syndrome
well wen a doctor or doctors close family member becomes a patient....has any problem n gets himself or herself treated some complication which normally doesnt occur to other patients strikes him/her despite all the care n precautions taken....

as i underwent appendisectomy last yr....well i developed most 3 uncommon complications...

1 spinal headache :for those who dont know what it is a short explanation.....for any operation v anesthetise the patient right.....so the anesthetic medicine is injected around the spinal cord...this causes certain disturbance in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) which is around the spinal cord...
so after the operation wen the patient gets conscious if he sits up....he gets a terrible headache....normally this lasts for 2 or 3 days max after the surgery....but for me...well for 7 days i had it...n believe me its so terrible the headache that u jus wish to lie down..any angle more acute than 180 degrees gives u a shot in head....

and there is no treatment except rehydration so as to aid in faster recycling of the old CSF...that old CSF which has medication in it is gone to be replaced by new CSF....hence i was given IV saline for 6 days...daily a new prick with scalpvein...coz daily my parents wud feel today is the last day she is having headache....what a plight na.....

2.bcoz of the surgery some fluid leaked from somewhere inside the abdomen....and since i was lying down the whole time it went up near my diaphragm where it irritated my phrenic nerve....
this caused most weird complication...well there was sharp shooting pain in my right shoulder..and for those who dont know nerve pain is one of the worst...and hiccups...well for an hour i was clutching my abdomen and hiccuping on 3rd day of surgery so u can imagine the pain in fresh operation site with each hiccup..n if i tried to sit up my head wud go boom boom....
this was one of the worst hours of pain i have been thru..n i was jus holding my moms hands tightly...she too didnt know what to do...she wud try n support the operation site but that didnt help at all to ease the pain...

3.my body reacted wildly to the precribed antibiotics wen taken orally....causing severe nausea..so for me to go to the bathroom with my headache n the operation site wud hurt like hell wen pressure was exerted on it during vommitting...well terrible evening....this was 2nd day of surgery...
of course then my dad put me on IV antibiotics...
that didnt make much difference as i had to take saline IV anyways for my headache..


my mom is undergoing root canal treatment right now...and she is having so much pain in tooth..n generally wat v do in 3 visits is gonna take her 5 visits...n i feel so bad for her..she cant chew....cant eat properly..whereas all my other patients have no trouble or pain what so ever once we begin with root canal....i keep telling my mom its jus VIP syndrome....

of course how can i forget my friend's brother who underwent wisdom tooth removal surgery n landed up with dry socket...basically its a very painful complication of extraction of teeth but quite uncommon...
actually that is wat i was worried abt wen i got my third molars removed....thankfully post extraction there was not any such complication...but yes the extraction wasn't as easy as it shd have been...took the surgeon 1 hour for a 30 min procedure....as my upper 3rd molar root broke he had to do a minor surgery for that too which is not the case generally....


since mine is a family of doctors we come across this quite often....
lets say its a heath hazard for doctors ;)

Comments