However, I thought it was too simple,so the idea struck me to make a raspberry mousse over the chocolate. after some research I zeroed in on this recipe for "raspberry mousse", again this is a super easy recipe....but while I was looking for raspberry mousse recipe, I came across the recipe for "chocolate raspberry mousse cake". I was tempted to make the chocolate mousse at the last moment...I was skeptical about it, as I had failed twice, but this recipe was different from the recipes I had tried earlier, this one didnt include beating and folding egg whites. I guess, I realized something about myself as I pushed myself to give this recipe a try, that I dont give up easily. I am super proud of myself. I am indeed my Mommy's girl :)
So here I present to all of you the chocolate raspberry mousse cake...and since I wanted to stick to the raspberry-chocolate theme, I used the ghirardelli dark chocolate with raspberry filling for the chocolate cake. you can use any chocolate you like, just use a good quality chocolate that you enjoy eating, as you are going to taste the chocolate in both the cake and the mousse.
Day 1: Chocolate Idiot Cake
- 290 g semisweet chocolate chopped (i used 1 cup ie approx 150 g semisweet chocolate chips and 150 g ghirardelli raspberry squares )
- 200g unsalted butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- Melt the chocolate and butter using double boiler method ie in a large saucepan heat water, and place the chocolate and butter in smaller vessel and stir it till it melts and forms uniform consistency.
- beat the eggs and add sugar and beat it some more.
- Pour in the molten chocolate and butter mixture and beat it to form a uniform batter.
- Prepare the pan by greasing it with butter and dusting it with cocoa powder tapping away the excess. I used a spring form pan, but I think that you can use regular pan too to make this cake. If the springform pan is not 100% water tight then you need to wrap it with foil.
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan cover it with a foil
- In a larger tray pour water and place the baking tray in the larger tray and the water should come till half the inner tray height.
- bake for 1 hr 15 min, the cake should be springy to touch, your finger should come clean after lightly touching the center of the cake. the knife test doesn't work with this one, as this is a flourless cake. so do not over bake.
- the cake will be done if you follow these steps, let it cool, it will shrink some bit and separate from the sides.
- I made the entire cake in 3 steps. so once the cake is cooled you can keep it in the refrigerator.
|chocolate and butter in double boiler|
|melted chocolate and butter mixture|
|beating eggs and sugar|
|chocolate cake ready :)|
- 3 1/2 cups regular whipped cream
- 12 ounces (2 cups) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- Melt chocolate using the double boiler method.
- Keep it aside to cool
- In a small vessel pour water and add sugar and heat it till water boils, to make syrup
- Beat the egg yolks, add the syrup to the egg yolk and mix it well.
- Pour in the melted chocolate, and mix it using beater. the mixture will turn little dry and crumbly, so heat it again using double boiler method just so that it loosens little, or if your bowl is microwavable, heat in microwave for 15 sec. Do not heat too much, else the cream will melt.
- add 1/3 of whipped cream and whisk well
- now add the remaining whipped cream and fold it with the chocolate mixture. The mixture should be fluffy Pour/ spoon the batter over the cake. allow it to set for half an hour minimum
chocolate in double boiler melted chocolate egg yolk and sugar syrup mixture
|after adding chocolate to egg yolk|
|after reheating the chocolate mix|
|after folding in the whipped cream|
|ready to set :)|
- 3 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
- 3 cups regular whipped cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- in a bowl smoothen the jam with a spoon till it is loose consistency.
- mix the sugar with the whipped cream.
- add the loosened jam and fold it with the cream, till you see an even colour, no streaks.
- spread the raspberry mousse over the chocolate mousse and allow it to set for couple of hours.
|slice of heaven indeed..|