Paav : Indian Dinner Roll


One of the things I missed the most living in USA is Paav, the typical indian bread made of maida or all purpose flour. Some of the best food, Paav Bhaji, Vada Paav, Dabeli etc etc need it. Usually we use burger buns instead of Paav. Surprisingly it never occurred to me that I should look it up and try my hand at it. Once again i think its the fear that it might be difficult to recreate the recipe, or that I don't know the secrets of the bakers in India..Recently I joined a group on FB where Indian women from out of India are connected, they share recipes, cookign tips, home remedies and many more things. On this group, I found paav recipes that motivated me to make it.

I followed recipe from vaah re vaah recipe youtube video link: Paav video Vaah re Vaah
I would recommend watching this video as well..makes the job very easy :)
I did halve the quantity, so here is the list of ingredients I used:

  1. 3 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  2. 1/2 tbsp sugar
  3. 2 1/2 tsp yeast
  4. 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
  5. 1/2 tsp salt
  6. 3 1/2 tsp Butter

Method:

  • dissolve sugar and yeast in water.
  • add salt to flour, slowly add water and begin kneading the flour as you would usually knead the dough for rotis.
  • The dough formed will be very soft.
  • add melted butter and knead some more. 
  • let the dough rest for an hour or two till it forms double the quantity.
  • Punch the dough and let the air out.
  • apply some butter on the baking sheet sprinkle some flour.
  • make rolls from the dough and place in a baking sheet.
  • Place the dough such that the rolls mildly touch each other.
  • Let the rolls rise for 30 mins
  • Pre heat the oven to 375 deg F
  • now just apply a layer of milk on the rolls with a brush or tissue dipped in milk. This is to get a shine to the bread. You may use egg as well.
  • Bake the Paav to 15-20 min until browned nicely at the top.
  • apply some butter at the top of paav once you take it out of oven. this helps to keep them soft and adds some moisture..
  • Take it off the baking sheet and let it cool.
In Pics: Sorry I do know have the pic of dough pre rise. But you can imagine how much it has risen since I made this dough only of 3 and 3/4 cup flour.




Enjoy the authentic Indian paav in your favourite dish :)

Comments